Sunday 5 August 2012

Spiderman Spiderman, wears a mask and ... jumps off my furniture

Oh dear, it's been 2 years but it looks like Lightning McQueen (from Disney Pixar Movie 'Cars') is no longer the biggest idol in our house. Make way for the Super heroes!
.
T-shirts, Wellies & backpacks are slowly but surely evolving and mutating from images of Cars with eyes to a certain red/blue suited web slinger and his friends! And while he still loves anything with wheels & will always be a petrol head more and more of his games seem to include wrestling his sister and jumping from the furniture to shouts of "Spiderman!" ... often followed by long explanations from me explaining that Spiderman is a goodie and doesn't intentionally hurt anyone or damage property.
.
Ultimately this has lead to requests for a Spiderman birthday party and a Spiderman dress-up costume for said Birthday - unfortunately his Birthday isn't till November, but trying to be the ever-prepared-mother that i am, I started Pinning Spiderman Party ideas and came across THESE simple but soo cute super hero mask templates by Jessica over at Cutesy Crafts and I decided to make the Spiderman mask as my weekend project, I ended up made 2 so he can play with a friend or his sister :D



I printed out and cut Jessica's spiderman template, the only alteration I made to the pattern was the addition of black felt around the eyes (to make a template for this I drew around the eye slots and added a 1cm border). You can easily make 2 masks from one sheet of red A4 felt, some black felt off-cuts, elastic and black/red thread - so quite a low cost make.
.
Once the pieces were cut the time consuming part was handsewing all the 'web' lines - you could make this quicker by machine sewing it or simply using permanent marker. I then blanket stitched the edges together with a back piece to stiffen and hit my messy back stitches, lol. I also used black elastic to match the eye sockets, and measured it before attaching against JJ's head to make sure it fitted.
.
I'm really pleased with the finished result - so much nicer than store bought, and I did it in one weeekend while watching the Olympics :D
.
So, until he gets the real thing in November my son has his bit of spiderman dress-up - he loves it, and even wore it while riding his bike today! I might even make some as presents and am already considering making foam or card versions for his Party. Here is little lady wearing her mask as a head band, lol!
.
Check out the original mask plus free templates for Thor, Ironman, Hulk, Wolverine and many more [CLICK HERE]

1 comment:

  1. So cute! Thanks for leaving me a comment to your blog post. I love seeing what other people create with my templates. If I make another Spiderman mask I am going to have to put black around the eyes like this! Jessica

    ReplyDelete